Monday, March 12, 2012

New Florence + The machine video: Never let me go. With some strange mix of X-files and Evanesence.

Florence + The machine: "Never let me go"



I was waiting exited about this new video. The song itself is already very beautiful so I was waiting for something quite special for this one. But have to admit after watching two times the video, I'm bit disappointed. Where as the videos of "Shake it out" and "No light, no light" were just perfect! The video of "Never let me goes" is shot at Slough ice rink. One of the original ideas behind this video was the Florence's idea about drowning, being under water. The video is directed by Tabitha Denholm who is inspired by the Scandinavian style of shooting films and by horror. "The Ice Dude" as Denholm named him is played by Jamie Campbell Bower. Denholm also directed the "Dog days", "Cosmic love", "You've got the love" and "Rabbit heart" videos.

When I first watched the video of "Never let me go" I got some flashback of X-files and the black oil virus that comtaninating people, check episode "Vienen" for example.

   


Also the lights were bit X-files themed.

So while watching this video I was bit drift off to X-files, the character of Alex Krycek and people bleeding black oil from their eyes. That takes away kinda the feeling from the music video it self. But it was good to see Florence once without so much make up in a music video. But I also got bit this bit annoying Evanesence'ish feeling of her costume, which makes the combination of alien virus combined with well...Evanesence and Flo very strange.

Some fan made X-files trailer over the black oil virus in the series
(don't watch if you don't want to see black stuff dripping off from the eyes etc.)



Just to mix it up even more I want you to make an experiment of watching the o' so played "My immortal". I never though about posting Evanesence but do this for the fun of an experiment. Now watch this music video thinking about the black oil. I think this way I can reconstruct the feeling what I had watching the video of "Never let me go" for the first time.

Evanesence - "My immortal"



Check the behind the scenes of "Never let me go" video shoot



And to go back to the feeling what I had first time when I heard this song watch this amazing live performance of Flo singing "Never let me go". I find this version as the best so far in the internet. Check also "Cosmic love", "Shake it out", "Dog days" and "What the water gave me" video clips from the same session.

Florence and the machine - "Never let me go" AOL Sessions


"Looking up from underneath
Fractured moonlight light on the sea,
Reflections still look the same to me,
As before I went under

And it's peaceful in the deep,
Cause either way you cannot breathe,
No need to pray, no need to speak
Now I am under

And it's breaking over me,
A thousand miles down to the sea bed,
I found the place to rest my head.

Never let me go, never let me go.
Never let me go, never let me go.

And the arms of the ocean are carrying me,
And all this devotion was rushing over me,
And the question of heaven, for a sinner like me,
But the arms of the ocean deliver me.

Though the pressure's hard to take,
It's the only way I can escape,
It seems a heavy choice to make,
Now I am under, oh

And it's breaking over me,
A thousand miles down to the sea bed,
I found the place to rest my head.

Never let me go, never let me go.
Never let me go, never let me go.

And the arms of the ocean are carrying me, (so cold and so sweet)
And all this devotion was rushing over me,
And the question to heaven, for a sinner like me,
But the arms of the ocean deliver me.

And it's over,
And I'm going under,
But i'm not giving up!
I'm just giving in.

Slipping underneath.
So cold, but so sweet.

In the arms of the ocean, so sweet and so cold,
And all this devotion, well, I never knew went on,
And the question to heaven, for a sinner released,
But the arms of the ocean deliver me.

And it's over,
And I'm going under,
But i'm not giving up!
I'm just giving in."

No comments:

Post a Comment